Sunday, February 20, 2011

Glorious Overcoming


Here is my final quilt for the commission.  I'm still working on the perfect title, but it is about overcoming the stuggles in glory.  There is life after the pain and it is beautiful.  All the nasties will be transformed and used for good. 

I used gold thread for the quilting and painted the background in a beautiful rainbow.  The circles come in all colors and are ringed with glass beads.  Copper tape forms the stems.  All the beading took much longer than I expected.  Pushing a needle through several layers of thick fabric paper was a real challenge.  I ended up pre-poking the holes with the sewing machine.  I still managed to stab myself numerous times, but kept the blood off the quilt.  I love how the quilt turned out -- it just sparkles.

4 comments:

Deborah OHare said...

Gorgeous, I love the texture you have created with the intense stitching.
Deborah

Suztats said...

beautiful!

Diane Perin said...

Colorful and happy -- beautiful, Nikki! I'm sure your client will be delighted!

Ladydy5 aka: Diane Yates said...

Bought 12by12 book today and couldn't put it down. Not only mesmerized by everyone's art I was intrigued by what you all wrote and described. I am new at fiber art but do try to accomplish a small wall piece. I would love to get a few girls new at this type of art together and do something like 12x12 girls do.